What is a Pharmacy Technician?
A is someone who assists a pharmacist in dispensing and preparing prescription medication for customers. This person has a variety of job duties that they will have to do daily. They will assist customers, process requests, deal with payments and insurance, and more. As a pharmacy technician, you are expected to know about the information systems and technology used to track medications and insurance. You also need to have a base understanding of pharmacology so that you can assist the pharmacist or answer questions for the customer. You can learn all of this information and more through a pharmacy technician program.
Advantages of Pharmacy Tech School
Pharmacy Technician School can prepare you to start a career in pharmacy. You will work under a pharmacist and assist in distributing medication and assisting customers. There are a lot of advantages to choosing Pharmacy Tech School as your schooling option. Check out some of these advantages below.
- Short Schooling – If you are looking to be a pharmacist, doctor, or many other career options in the medical field, you will be talking about attending a lot of schooling. For these types of careers, you need a bachelor’s degree and then another degree that goes deeper into your field. However, if you want to get started in the pharmacy industry, you can attend Pharmacy Tech School and graduate in as little as nine months. This program has short schooling so that you can get out into the workplace faster.
- Hands-on Learning Experiences – Throughout your Pharmacy Tech School, you will also get some great hands-on learning experiences that will prepare you for the world of work. Your courses will have a theory component, but they will also have a lab component. Then, at the end of your schooling, you will also complete an externship where you will do real work in your field while being supervised by someone with experience. These hands-on learning experiences will show your future employer that you have what it takes to succeed on the job.
- Gaining Experience in a Growing Field – Another advantage of Pharmacy Technician School is that you are getting experience in a field that is growing. According to the , the employment of pharmacy technicians is expected to grow twelve percent from 2016 to 2026. Demand in this field is growing because the population is aging and many people are living to be older than they used to. Older people normally use more prescription medication than younger people.
- Your Certification is Recognized Everywhere in the US – Pharmacy Technician School can also set you up for a career anywhere in the United States. The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board has a certification that is recognized nationally. This means that if you need to relocate to a different part of the United States, you will still have the ability to do your work.
- You Have the Chance to Help Others – Generally when you work as a pharmacy technician, you will work as part of a team. You will work for a pharmacist, but there will likely be other pharmacy technicians, aides, doctors, or nurses you may work with. As a part of a team, you will be able to help your team be as efficient as possible. You will also be able to help people get the medication they need to help them recover from illnesses. This job will give you the chance to interact with others and help people, so it could be a rewarding option for you.
- Various Job Opportunities – When you work as a pharmacy technician, you have a variety of places where you could work. You could work in a hospital, but you could also work in a nursing home or assisted living facility. As a pharmacy technician, you could also work in a retail pharmacy in grocery stores or other facilities. You are not stuck in one job environment as a pharmacy technician; there are a lot of different places where you can get a job.
FVI School of Nursing and Technology or FVI has a Pharmacy Technician Program. Through our program, we will teach you the basics of pharmacology, the technology and information systems used in a pharmacy, and pharmacy rules and regulations. You will also get the chance to have some hands-on experience through your pharmacy tech externship. If you would like to learn more about attending a Pharmacy Technician Program at the FVI School of Nursing and Technology, you can . We could help you take the next step toward your future career.