It is hard to know much about what a job or career is really like until you start working in it yourself. However, if you want to learn a little bit more about patient care technicians, you can check out some interesting facts right here.
Interesting Facts About Patient Care Technicians
Patient care technicians are people who work in the healthcare field. Their focus is on patients in long-term healthcare facilities. They help patients with day-to-day activities and medical concerns such as getting proper nutrition, bathing, getting exercise and movement, and staying happy and healthy. Learn more about patient care technicians by checking out five interesting facts below.
- Most States Require Licensing – To become a patient care technician, most people attend a patient care technician school or training. This schooling gives you the medical knowledge and patient care skills that you will use during your daily work. However, in addition to the schooling, many states require a licensing or certification. This could include a certification test that you need to pass to be able to work in that state as a patient care tech. Once you pass your exam, you will be put on a list of people that are allowed to work as patient care technicians. Going to patient care technician school can really prepare you for that certification exam.
- It Can Provide a Good Wage – Another fact about working as a patient care tech is that it can set you up to earn a good wage. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, people working in this type of position earn a median annual wage of $28,540. However, it is also important to note that many people who work as patient care technicians do shift work. This means that there is a possibility for extra hours and overtime pay if that is something that interests you.
- Employment is Expected to Grow – Another important and interesting fact about patient care technicians is they are a part of a growing field. There are many growing opportunities for employment in the medical field, and patient care technicians are one of those growing options. The employment in this type of position is expected to grow 11 percent from 2016 to 2026 according to gov. This means that there will be a growing demand for this type of work, so it could be a good career option for many people. You may be more easily able to find work in this type of area than other areas that do not have as much demand and employment growth.
- Compassion is One of the Most Important Qualities – When you work as a patient care tech, you are seeing to the needs of the people in the facility where you work. You do need some basic medical knowledge, but the most important thing is care and compassion for your patients. Your focus will be your patients and their needs and doing all you can to make them feel healthy and happy.
- It Can Be Very Rewarding Work – Working as a patient care technician means working in a hospital or long-term healthcare facility. It sometimes means working long hours. It means putting others needs before your own. Working as a patient care technician can be very rewarding work because you are helping those that need help. Whether they need someone to listen to their concerns or someone to help them get dressed, you are helping those people with what they need most.
Above, we discussed some interesting facts about patient care technicians. If any of those descriptions sounded like something you would enjoy doing for work, learn more about patient care technician school below.
Starting Patient Care Technician School
A patient care technician school can be a great option for those that want to focus on helping patients in the healthcare industry. This type of schooling will teach you about how to care for patients properly as well as teaching you about basic medical care, specialized medical exams, and lab skills. A patient care technician program is only six or seven months long, so it can be completed quickly so that the graduate of the program can get to work soon.
Florida Vocation Institute or FVI has a patient care technician program that can help you get started working toward your career goal of becoming a patient care technician. Our admissions department can answer any questions you may have about applying to patient care technician school and completing the program. Click here if you want to learn more about getting started on the patient care technician program at FVI School of Nursing and Technology.
For more information about graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website: