Table of Contents
As you may know, a patient care technician works in a long-term healthcare facility to assist patients with daily needs. However, there is also something called a pediatric patient care technician. You can learn more about the specifics of this position as well as how to become one of these people below.
What is a Pediatric Patient Care Technician?
A pediatric patient care technician is a patient care technician that specializes in working with kids. This means that they help with the daily health and wellness of kids in a healthcare facility. They are mostly found in the pediatric wing of a hospital.
A doctor has to focus on the treatment of the kids, so someone working as a patient care technician will worry more about the comfort and well-being of the kids in a pediatric facility. A pediatric patient care technician could perform job duties such as helping the patients eat or dress, checking the vital signs of the patient, keeping the patient?s room clean, collecting samples from the patient for the doctor, and more. In addition to all those duties, it is great for you to have a positive attitude and a desire to work with kids. Below, you can check out some of the other characteristics that make a good pediatric patient care technician.
What Makes Someone a Good Pediatric Patient Care Tech?
If you think being a pediatric patient care technician could be a good option for you, you will want to check and see if you have the skills listed below. These skills describe a little bit more about what it takes to be a good pediatric patient care technician.
- Basic Medical Skills ? It is important to have basic medical skills as a pediatric PCT. This is because you will need to perform tasks like taking vital signs, collecting samples, and more. However, you can learn these basic medical skills through a patient care technician school.
- Passionate About Helping Kids ? Aside from basic medical skills, this is probably the most important part of being a pediatric PCT. Working with children is not always easy, so it is important that you are passionate about working with kids and helping them with their health concerns.
- Great Listening Skills ? It is also essential to have great listening skills as a pediatric patient care technician. You will have to listen to the needs of your patients, and you will also need to listen to the parents of your patients.
- Positive Attitude ? A positive attitude goes a long way as a patient care technician. You are working with kids who may have long-term health issues and complications. They can benefit from some positivity and joy, and their parents can as well.
- Strong Communication Skills ? As a pediatric PCT, you will not only have to be good at communicating with kids, you will also have to be good at communicating with parents, nurses, and doctors. You will need to communicate with nurses and doctors about any issues your patient might be having, and you will need to communicate with parents about their concerns as well.
Now that you have learned a little bit about what is involved with being a pediatric patient care technician, you can learn more about how to become one. Read on to learn more about this below.
How to Become a Pediatric Patient Care Technician
Before becoming a patient care technician of any kind, you need to get a high school diploma or GED. This is the basic requirement for becoming a patient care technician, but many people also attend further education. Many places do not require you to attend a patient care technician school, but it can be highly beneficial to give you the basic skills you need to succeed in this vehicle.
A patient care technician program will teach you about basic anatomy, patient care, phlebotomy, electrocardiograms, and more. FVI or FVI School of Nursing and Technology has a patient care technician program. This program could prepare you to work as a pediatric patient care technician in the future. haga clic aquí to learn more about FVI?s patient care technician program.
Para obtener más información sobre las tasas de graduación, la deuda media de los estudiantes que completaron el programa y otra información importante, visite nuestro sitio web: